The UN Human Rights Office (Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – OHCHR) represents the world’s commitment to universal ideals of human dignity. It has a unique mandate from the international community to promote and protect all human rights.
The OHCHR field presence in Moldova, led by the UN Human Rights Adviser, assists the UN RC Office, UN Country Team in Moldova (UNCT), Government and civil society in strengthening human rights and human rights-based approaches, working closely with the UN Country Team on capacity building and mainstreaming human rights in their work, as well as providing support in engagement with national actors on human rights, including advising national authorities upon request. Thematic priorities for work are: Strengthening rule of law and accountability for human rights violations; Enhancing equality and countering discrimination Integrating human rights in sustainable development; Enhancing civic space and people’s participation.
Starting from 2019 OHCHR Moldova jointly with other UN entities started implementing the Joint Action to Strengthen Human Rights in the Transnistrian region of the Republic of Moldova (2019 -2021) .
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Human Rights Adviser and in close collaboration with National Human Rights Officers, the incumbent is responsible for the management of OHCHR activities and coordination of all Programme activities through a range of actions: managing and monitoring the project implementation, ensuring synergies between the components of the Programme, communicating Programme objectives and results, engaging with all stakeholders.
The incumbent will substantively contribute to the implementation of human rights awareness raising, human rights training activities and will provide the necessary advice and expertise on matters related to human rights promotion in Transnistrian region of the Republic of Moldova.
The Programme Analyst/Thematic area Coordinator applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP and OHCHR rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Board for the project results.
The Programme Analyst/Thematic area Coordinator will lead the OHCHR part Programme implementation process that will ensure its effective and efficient implementation. The Programme Analyst/Thematic area Coordinator will ensure the thematic (human rights) internal coordination and coherence of human rights interventions of UNODC, UNICEF, IOM and UNAIDS.
The Programme Analyst/Thematic area Coordinator will ensure close coordination of the Programme activities under OHCHR responsibilities with other relevant UN programs, projects and initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Analyst/Thematic area Coordinator in close cooperation with the project team, under the guidance and supervision of the UN Human Rights Adviser and in close collaboration with OHCHR National Human Rights Officers, and with respective counterparts from UNODC, UNICEF, UNAIDS, IOM and OHCHR will:
- ensure the provision of expertise and advise based on human rights and gender equality approaches highest quality and standards to national counterparts on the priorities of the Programme placed under the authority of OHCHR;
- establish and nurture strategic partnerships in the area of human rights promotion in the Transnistrian region of the Republic of Moldova based on the UN strategic goals, the needs of the people form the region and donos’ priorities;
- liaise with the UNDP Programme manager, national counterparts, donors and the UN agencies to ensure that the expected Programme results are achieved;
- develop in close collaboration with UN Human Rights Adviser Annual Work Plans of the Programme;
- be responsible for the organization, coordination of the activities under the Programme’s Annual Work Plans as well as of the reporting under the Programme overall and the Annual Work Plans;
- lead, coordinate and provide substantive input in the organization of workshops, trainings, conferences to take place under the Programme activities;
- ensure the effective management and supervision of the resources spending in his area of responsibility including for consultancy services and other service delivery.
2. Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the human rights situation, political, social and economic situation in the country with focus on the Transnistrian region.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Analyze and research information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Preparation of speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the Resident Coordinator system, in close consultation with the UNCT and partners
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Joint Programme to Strengthen Human Rights in the Transnistrian region of the Republic of Moldova. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances OHCHR’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and OHCHR management.
Innovation:Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 4: Models independent thinking and action
Communication:Ability to listen, adapt and persuade
Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in development studies, political science, human rights, international relations, public affairs, public administration, economics, law or related areas.
- Advanced degree (5 years of studying) in the same fields of study can be considered as corresponding to the requirement.
- Up to 2 years of progressively responsible experience is required at the national or international level in the human rights field. (Experience of work in Transnistrian region is a very strong advantage).
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in project management is a strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Romanian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
- Non-Smoking environment
- Applications from the Trasnistrian region are encouraged
Vacancy End Date: 26/12/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)