For Feasibility Study of BMZ programme in Moldova
Position: Feasibility study consultant
The inquirer: HelpAge International, Moldova
Place of Work: Republic of Moldova, Chisinau
Timeframe: 2 weeks, during January 13 – 25 January 2020
Background and context
HelpAge International as secretariat of a global network is committed to promote the wellbeing and inclusion of older women and men, and to reduce poverty and discrimination in later life. One of the four key areas of work is focused on the aim to ensuring freedom of older men and women from discrimination, abuse and violence. As societies are ageing and older people themselves are ageing, living longer lives, there is more research and evidence collection around the hidden phenomenon of abuse and around ageism. Interventions already implemented by HelpAge and other organisations around the world show that all areas of life of older people are affected by abuse and discrimination and these highly impedes the realization of their rights. It is therefore essential to work more towards ensuring safer environments and communities where older people can lead secure lives and the prerequisites are to understand more intersectional and cumulative violence during the live course and how to address these at policy and service level.
In Moldova HelpAge International started the work towards prevention and combating abuse and violence in older age in 2012, applying the approach of „learning by doing„ since there were no or limited data on the older group of population and in 2015 conducted a national research with the support of UNFPA in order to have country level data in the area of ageing perceptions and to what extend abuse and violence affect people in older ages. This first specific study, revealed that more than every 4th older person (28,6%) was affected by at least one form of abuse and 38,3% of them, didn’t tell anyone about this problem and did not address for support. This data served as basis for larger intervention in the period of 2016-2020, with support of BMZ. The intervention piloted community-based support networks for older people, instruments to strengthen capacity of state actors and services that assist and protect people at risk of violence or those who survived violence. At broader level the project worked on policy level to mainstream the needs of older people in ensuring their protection against abuse and discrimination and worked on raising awareness among the target group and general public.
HelpAge office in Moldova is developing a new proposal for a project in the area of prevention and combating violence against older people. The new intervention is based on learnings and new directions of actions derived from previous work. The new action will:
- Work with civil society organisations to integrate needs of older people in relevant polices on gender equality and gender based violence in the national strategies and plans;
- Contribute to development and inclusiveness of services for survivors and those at risk where duty bearers and service providers are trained to provide them;
- Enhance civil society participation to address domestic violence and elder abuse;
- Empower violence survivors and those at risk to develop age friendly livelihood activities;
- Increase public awareness about gender and age based violence and abuse at all levels.
Scope of work
The consultant is required to conduct feasibility appraisals of the proposed project. The feasibility study is supposed to inform HelpAge and the donor (BMZ) on aspects such as the feasibility of the activities and the likelihood of achieving the desired results. The study will also look into feasibility of timing and activity budget according to the planned interventions. The recommendations and findings will serve as recommendations and insights for the development of a final proposal.
- Review of the proposed intervention (draft proposal documents) and do the assessment according to below topics
- Review existing data available for project intervention and conduct desk review to understand the country context and the area of work for the project
- Conduct interviews with project staff, project potential partners, key Government institutions and service providers, as well representatives of local public authorities (to be agreed upon contracting). Conduct focus group discussions with potential project target group and other actors, as to be identified upon the methodology approval. (To be considered that field visits need to be planned herewith).
- Analyse questions as outlined in the TOR through field visits and interviews of stakeholders and representatives of the suggested target group (direct beneficiaries)
- Presentation of results in feedback meeting with HelpAge team and if necessary, the field team
- Production of a high-quality analytical report along the topics as outlined in the TOR
- Elaboration of a set of recommendations and findings, as part of the analytical report
- Preparation of the final analytical report with integration of all feedback from consultations
- Preparation of a 2 page summary of the report and recommendations.
The consultant has full responsibility for all planning and logistical issues necessary for the good realization of the assignment, in agreement with the contracting part.
The study should analyze the situation and the problems addressed by the intervention. In this process thorough analysis should be made for the level of involvement and the impact on target group (direct and indirect beneficiaries) and stakeholders. The framework of assessment for the study will be based on terms of the OECD/DAC criteria of relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability and the planned project should be critically reviewed in line with these. Based on that recommendations should be provided on how to improve project concept and project interventions.
- Expert with background in social sciences, psychology, legal area, or related area
- Strong and proved experience in conducting researches or/and evaluations
- Excellent analytical, research and writing skills
- Good understanding of the national system for domestic violence prevention and combating and its services is key to understanding the context of the assignment.
- General understanding and basic knowledge of inter-sectional areas of ageing, domestic violence, gender-based violence, gender equality, discrimination, human rights.
- Ability to conduct high quality research, quantitative and qualitative analysis, meet deadlines and communication efficiently with the contracting parties and stakeholders.
- Good understanding of the political, social, economic and cultural development climate of the project country
- Experience in working in the development sector and with externally funded actions.
- Familiarity with participatory approaches and common tools of evaluation
- Familiarity with social accountability concepts and mechanisms
- Excellent written and spoken Romanian and English. Knowledge of Russian will be an advantage.
Due to the narrow timeframe of this consultancy, consultants who are based in the project country (Moldova) will be preferred.
- Good communication skills, advanced use of computer and internet.
- The assignment is estimated for 14 days days during the period of 13 – 25 January 2020
The tender process is estimated to be finalized by 09/01/2020 and notification upon selection to be sent by 10/01/2020. The selected consultant will be contracted by HelpAge International Moldova and will report to the Country Director. Consultation process will include donor (BMZ), HelpAge Germany, project stakeholders and partners.
Interested candidates will send their proposal that will mandatorily include:
- Letter of interest with description of the interest in the work requirement, why you are the most suitable candidate for this assignment, qualifications and experience appropriate for the required tasks, 2 professional references with valid contacts and 3-4 links or attachments of previous similar works (evaluation reports, researches, analytical papers, etc.);
- CV, no longer than 4 pages.
- A brief methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work;
- Timeframe of work with deliverables for each stage;
- Financial Proposal specifying the daily rate and other expenses, if any, and break down the costs.
Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com indicating in the email Subject “Application for HelpAge/BMZ Feasibility Study” by deadline 09/01/2020 at 16:00 Moldova time. A confirmation email of receipt will be sent in due time. For printed applications to indicate the mail address: Republic of Moldova, Chisinau, MD-2005, 57/1 Banulescu-Bodoni Str., office 431, HelpAge International, and using the same Subject on the envelope.
Note: The detailed ToTs will be provided only to the selected applicant/consultant. The ToRs are pending a final approval by the donor and will be finalized prior to signing a contract with a selected consultant.
Contacts for additional Information: tel: 0373 22 225098,
Country Director, HelpAge International in Moldova
Note: Incomplete applications or applications sent after the indicated deadline will not be subject to tender analysis.