|Title: Project Manager:Business Development vacancy – EU4Moldova:focal regions Programme|
|Job ID: 27461|
|Practice Area – Job Family: Management – BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT|
|Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 15/01/2020|
|Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova, Republic of|
|Education & Work Experience: I-Master’s Level Degree – 8 year(s) experience|
|Languages Required: English, Romanian; Desired: Bulgarian, Gagauz, Romany, Russian, Ukrainian|
|Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)|
|Posting Type: External|
|Bureau: Europe & the CIS|
|Contract Duration: 1 year, with possibility of extension|
The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and is funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year programme is to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in the pilot micro- regions.
To this end, this programme will address the urban-rural divide and regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected pilot micro-regions (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account a gender perspective in the activities of the programme.
- To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the pilot micro-regions,
- To improve citizens’ access to quality public services and utilities in the pilot micro-regions,
- To create employment opportunities for men and women in the pilot micro-regions and improve the attractiveness of the pilot regions for investors and entrepreneurs,
- To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the pilot micro regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
The programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at:
(i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans;
(ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery;
(iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the pilot micro-regions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the incumbent provides effective and efficient coordination of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme components related to business development, through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Manager (Business Development) will work in close cooperation with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Manager (Business Development) in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager, and in close cooperation with the Cluster Lead and the programme team, will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
a) Ensure practical management of assigned Business Development components in terms of project activities as well as human and financial resources.
b) Design, implement monitor and evaluate specific interventions to support attraction of investments in the regions, local business infrastructure development and call for proposals to support start-ups and business expansion, including rural SMEs to diversify economic activities etc.
c) Contribute to the annual activity and procurement work plans, as well as budgets based on expected yearend outputs. Ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements under the assigned project component.
d) Be responsible for the coordination of the assigned component work plan according to indicators for achieving planned results, as well as for the overall management of the component in accordance to prevailing UNDP rules, regulations and procedures.
e) Supervise and quality assurance of the work of Business Officer and Investment Attraction Officer.
f) Manage project development and formulation. Coordinate the design, planning and monitoring of sub-projects.
g) Ensure the quality of concept papers, terms of references, proposal outlines and agreements in close cooperation with the project team and recipients.
h) Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring and evaluation system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top quality progress reports.
i) Lead and ensure compliance to UNDP standards of all procurement activities under the assigned project component.
j) Ensure and coordinate the timely submission of financial and activity reports covering the assigned component of the project, to be incorporated in the overall project financial and narrative report.
k) Establish and maintain a platform for dialogue between the private sector in the two focal regions (Ungheni and Cahul) and the local public authorities.
l) Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels.
m) Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent of five years’ University Degree in economics, business administration, public administration, management or related areas. Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least eight years of professional experience is required at the national or international level in one of the following fields: business development; support of small/medium enterprises, business associations; local economic development.
- At least four years of experience in managing a multidisciplinary team.
- At least three years of experience in the design/implementation or monitoring of development programmes.
- Experience of work in local regions and/or in managing programmes financed by the European Union is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian. Knowledge of Russian desired.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.