|Title: Project Officer/Rural Development – EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme (EU-funded) – UNDP Moldova|
|Job ID: 27956|
|Practice Area – Job Family: Capacity Development – RURAL DEVELOPMENT|
|Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 15/01/2020|
|Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova, Republic of|
|Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 7 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience|
|LanguagesRequired: English, Romanian; Desired: Bulgarian, Gagauz, Romany, Russian, Ukrainian|
|Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)|
|Posting Type: External|
|Bureau: Europe & the CIS|
|Contract Duration: till 31 December 2020, with possibility of extension|
The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and is funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year programme is to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in the pilot micro- regions.
To this end, this programme will address the urban-rural divide and regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected pilot micro-regions (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account a gender perspective in the activities of the programme.
- To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the pilot micro-regions,
- To improve citizens’ access to quality public services and utilities in the pilot micro-regions,
- To create employment opportunities for men and women in the pilot micro-regions and improve the attractiveness of the pilot regions for investors and entrepreneurs,
- To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the pilot micro regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
The programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at: (i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans; (ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery; (iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the pilot micro-regions.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Local Development Manager, the Project Officer/Rural Development contributes to effective and efficient implementation of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme. In this regard, the incumbent carries out actions supporting the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities, applying and promoting the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Officer/Rural Development works under supervision of Local Development Manager, in close collaboration with the Programme Manager and other Project Officers for effective achievement of results, including from UNICEF (UNDP partner in the Programme implementation), anticipating and resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
1. Support to EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme on implementation of SMART focal regional development, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Advise and assist targeted local public authorities from Cahul and Ungheni to meaningfully engage citizens and civil society groups in local development processes, such as design, implementation and monitoring of public policies.
- Provide support for the capacity building for civil society groups and organizations to pro-actively engage into focal regions’ development initiatives.
- Provide support for the establishment/consolidation of Local Actions groups and for supporting their activities in the two focal regions, through grant provision.
- Support the implementation of periodical call for proposals for civil society organizations representing vulnerable groups to take part in the strategic planning processes, in planning, implementation and monitoring of socio-economic development strategies.
- Develop and support the implementation of a capacity building plan for the local public authorities in target LPAs, in order to ensure sustainability of the intervention after the finalization of the programme.
- Design and provide support in implementation of financing schemes for rural SMEs and producers to diversify and expand their activities in rural areas to urban or urban to rural areas.
- Promote a participatory, human rights and gender sensitive approach to rural development in close coordination with other local and national partners.
- Support the Local Development Manager and the UNDP CO in general project development, implementation and project-related strategic processes.
2. Ensure provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assess the country’s development policies rural development area and their impact on EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme activities.
- Provide policy options and high-quality advisory inputs to the project from rural development perspective to ensure these are responsive to national policies, priorities and strategic plans, and advance UNDP’s corporate goals.
- Provide training and capacity building support for EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme and partners on rural development.
- Make sound contributions to local development-related knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Provide solid inputs to project’s analytical products, work plans and progress reports, etc.
- Identify and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt from the field.
- Conduct analytical work (e.g. institutional and risk analyses, capacity assessment, policy reviews) in the area of rural development, highlighting UNDP support and strategy. Play an active role in policy advice, strategic thinking, knowledge sharing.
3. Ensure creation of strategic partnerships, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Liaise, synergy and coordination with project partners on rural development issues.
- Prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation with development partners, contribute to the resource mobilization efforts.
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Participate in national and international fora, making substantive contributions as appropriate.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Sound knowledge of rural development context of the two target focal regions
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Master Degree or equivalent in agriculture, social sciences, economics, public administration, or related areas. Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the areas of local community development.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in the area of institutional development, civil society organizations’ organizational development.
- Previous experience of working in development assistance, with NGOs, decision-makers at the regional and local levels in the Republic of Moldova and/or in programmes financed by European Commission, and/or in projects involving the LEADER approach is a very strong advantage).
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian. Knowledge of Russian desired.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language, is an asset.