Context: “Supporting Inclusive Dialogue and Strengthening Capacities for a Better Functioning Gagauz Autonomy in Moldova”, is a three-year project bringing together legislators, experts and interested parties from Chisinau, Comrat and across Moldova to find joint solutions to issues related to multilevel governance linked to the Gagauzia autonomy. The project runs from 2019 to 2021, implemented by Crisis Management Initiative (CMI) in partnership with CONTACT Centre and Eurac Research, and funded by Sweden (more information at http://gagauziadialogue.md/)
The Policy Development component of the project aims to work with the Gagauz authorities to build a clear vision of the autonomy in the policy areas of tourism, education, and culture, as an important step towards clarifying competencies and implementing them effectively. The policy development process seeks to determine strategic directions in the three sectoral spheres, either in the form of strategic policy goals or specific decisions on the implementation of strategic initiatives to be endorsed by the Gagauz authorities.
To build the capacities of the ATU Gagauzia for long term strategic development, a specific Policy Development Task Force (PDTF), composed of representatives of the Gagauz authorities and independent experts from Chisinau and Comrat, has been established to manage the process of developing autonomy’s policy strategies in the three target areas: education, tourism and culture. The process of developing policies by the PDTF will be facilitated by CMI and CONTACT Centre and closely coordinated with relevant institutions in Chisinau and Comrat.
Objective of the Call: CMI, in partnership with CONTACT Centre, is looking for an independent consultant from the Republic of Moldova to provide policy advice for delivering the process of policy development on tourism and culture of ATU Gagauzia within the “Supporting Inclusive Dialogue and Strengthening Capacities for a Better Functioning Gagauz Autonomy in Moldova” project.
Specific tasks of the Consultant:
· Support the Project team, international and local experts to develop a clear vision of ATU Gagauzia in key target policy areas of tourism and culture.
· Provide policy advice on advancing the work in the two fields and support in maintaining relationships with project’s main stakeholders, including relevant ministries and authorities of ATU Gagauzia.
· Proactively participate and contribute to the PDTF meetings and events related to the preparation of the draft policy documents on tourism and culture.
· Review and provide input into the policy documents drafted by PDTF experts and other relevant materials developed within the project policy workstream.
· Perform other tasksrequired to support the activity of the PDTF in the two target areas area.
Timeline: The assignment will start in September 2020 and will conclude no later than October 2021. The Consultant is expected to commit full-time.
Required skills and experience:
· Master’s degree (or equivalent of 5 years University degree) in public administration, law, social sciences or related areas.
· Training and certification in policy development would be an asset.
· Proven knowledge and experience in the development of public policies (concepts, national strategies, plans, etc.).
· Demonstrated experience of working with diverse stakeholders including public authorities and civil society organizations in areas of good governance.
· Strong analytical and writing skills demonstrated by previous assignments.
· Previous work experience in ATU Gagauzia and with Gagauz authorities would be an asset.
· Work experience in the field of culture and tourism is not required, but it will be considered an advantage.
· Knowledge and experience in autonomy and minority related issues will be considered an advantage.
Language requirements: Strong written and spoken Romanian, Russian and English is required.
Interested candidates are kindly invited to submit their application (in English) by August 17, 2020 at the following address: email@example.com.
The application package will include:
– an updated CV including contact information of three references;
a cover letter, explaining how the candidate’s profile fits the skills and experience required by this Call and specifying the requested monthly fee (in EUR, net);
Samples of policy documents developed/coordinated.
Only preselected candidates will be contacted for an interview.